Next VEP Meeting: Tuesday, May 28
May’s general membership meeting:
- Presentations to include: Update on Santa Clara Water District; and Proposal for Security Patrols for VEP Neighborhood.
- The first guest speaker will be Linda LeZotte, District 4 Director for the Santa Clara Water District Board of Directors. Ms. LeZotte will give a brief presentation on the Past, Present, and Future of the Water District. There will be an opportunity to ask questions and receive information on the budget and recently passed parcel tax.
- The second guest speaker will be Teresa Larkin, Chief Administrative Officer for First Alarm Security & Patrol, Inc. Ms. Larkin will provide detailed information on a proposal for security patrols as well as additional security benefits First Alarm can provide to the VEP neighborhood. Focus will be on answering attendees’ questions regarding the proposal.
- VEP Business Meeting/Updates/Announcements. Members will be asked to elect the slate for the VEP Board of Directors.
- Your Concerns and Ideas – We want to hear from you! Together we can work toward positive resolution. This approach continues to make VEP neighborhoods strong, healthy, and attractive. This will be an exciting and informative meeting. We look forward to seeing you, your friends and neighbors, on May 28th. This is the last scheduled meeting prior to Summer break. Please join us!
Items of Interest for April
- Saturday morning, April 20th. The Great American Litter Pick Up. Registration at Vista Park begins at 8am. Refreshments, and pickup supplies will be available. As you drive or walk through our neighborhoods, have you noticed areas that need some assistance in removing litter? Come and join your neighbors for a couple of hours and make our VEP community more attractive. This activity qualifies for high school students needing to meet their volunteer hours requirement. Following the pickup, volunteers will be served lunch!
- Saturday, April 27th – Gunderson High School Beautification Day. Students will be doing cleanup, spreading wood chips, and tree planting. Needed: adult supervisors and wheelbarrows. Contact Dave Fadness at
or 408-578-6428 for additional information.
- Tuesday, April 30th – VEP Meeting, 7:30pm, Vista Park Community Room. (Please note – meeting is scheduled for the last Tuesday of the month!). Featured guest speaker will be Santa Clara County Supervisor Mike Wasserman.
- Saturday, May 4th – VEP Neighborhood Garage Sale. Free to all VEP residents. VEP does the advertising. Plan now to have all of your “treasures” ready to put out and sell on the first Saturday in May!
District 10 First Annual Safety Faire
Sunday afternoon, April 7th , from 4 to 7 pm, District 10 First Annual Safety Faire, at Gunderson High School Auditorium, 622 Gaundabert Lane (off of Chynoweth). Our Councilmember Khamis is sponsoring this free event for the community.
The focus will be on how to keep our homes, families, and neighborhood safe, and will include:
- Question and Answer Time with San Jose Police Department
- Crime Prevention Tips
- Safety Vendors
- Neighborhood Watch
- Special Presentations
To register for this free event, please go to: http://district10.eventbrite.com/
VEP will have a table at the event. Come by and bring a neighbor!
VEP March Meeting
The next meeting is on Tuesday March 26, 2013 at 7:30 PM in the Vista Park Community Room at 475 Hyde Park Drive.
- SURVEILLANCE WORKSHOP - a presentation sponsored by Council District 10 Staff City of San Jose
- VEP Business Meeting -
- Crime Awareness & Prevention Community Safety Faire, April 7th Gunderson High School
- Membership Drive Continues in March & April
- Neighborhood Garage Sale, May 4th
- Your Concerns and Ideas
VEP February Update
1. VEP General Membership Meeting – Neighborhood Watch, Tuesday, February 26, 7:30 pm, Vista Park Community Room, 475 Hyde Park Dr, S.J. 95136. Focus will be on information to assist residents in working with their immediate neighbors to protect themselves. This is the first in a series of three related crime prevention workshops. Everyone concerned about crime in our neighborhood, needs to attend!
3. The VEP Membership Drive continues during February and March! To assist you in renewing your membership for 2013, a membership application is printed in the VEP Newsletter, and is also available online at the VEP Website – www.vepca.net.
Items of Interest for February:
- Follow-up on Issue of Concern – at the January 29th meeting, the membership was informed that the San Jose City Planning Commission had agendized a request from the Wholesale Auto Brokers which, if approved, would have allowed expansion of their home based businesses to include parking/storing vehicles on residential streets. This item has been removed from the agenda, with assurance that it will not go forward in the foreseeable future! Additional information will be available in the February edition of the VEP newsletter.
- If you have had an issue which involved requesting assistance from Code Enforcement, the department would like you to complete a Customer Service Survey. Please complete this short survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7KQX6WR
- The VEP Membership Drive continues during February! To assist you in renewing your membership for 2013, a membership application is printed in the VEP Newsletter, and is also available online at the VEP Website
- Our VEP Facebook group is 37 members strong! Come join our private group for discussion on neighborhood happenings: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vepca/
5. Plan now to attend the VEP Membership Meeting scheduled for February 26th!
Upcoming Events in January
- Happy New Year! As the year 2013 begins, VEP Community Association also begins its 44th continuous year as an all volunteer organization proudly serving its local community!
- January Membership Meeting – Tuesday, January 29th, 7:30 pm to be held at the Vista Park Community Room, 475 Hyde Park Drive, S.J. 95136. Featured guest speaker Alicia Flynn, Project Manager, Santa Clara County Parks will provide an update on Martial Cottle Park, including timelines for presentation to the County Board of Supervisors and when construction/path development will begin. Plan now to attend!
- Ice Cream Social – will begin the January 29th meeting. This is in Celebration of VEP beginning its 44th year, as well as a fun opportunity to enjoy a free treat while meeting and talking with neighbors!
- January begins the annual VEP Membership Drive! To assist you in renewing your membership for 2013, a membership application is printed in the upcoming VEP Newsletter. In addition, a membership application is also available online at the VEP Website – www.vepca.net.