Ice Cream Social 5/31 Before General Meeting
1. VEP Community Association Meeting - Tuesday, May 31st, 7:15PM. VEP meeting will start at 7:15pm with an Ice Cream Social - come enjoy your favorite ice cream and network with neighbors. The meeting is held at the Vista Park Community Room, 475 Hyde Park Drive, San Jose, 95136. Everyone is welcome!
2. Featured presentations at the VEP Comm Assoc meeting will focus on Martial Cottle Park - beginning with an update from Park Manager Eric Goodrich; followed by an overview of the farming operation from a representative of the Master Gardener, Brendan Miele of Jacobs Farm / Del Cabo.
In Honor of Memorial Day - VEP will Thank & Acknowledge the Veterans Who Live in the VEP Neighborhoods! You won't want to miss this exciting meeting. Come and bring a friend!
3. We hope you had an enjoyable and safe Memorial Holiday Weekend!
VEP Holiday Light Contest Winners
Thursday, 24 December 2015 12:10
The holidays are once again upon us. One enjoyable way to celebrate and enjoy them with family and friends is to drive and/or walk around our VEP neighborhoods and enjoy all of the wonderful holiday decorations! This year, VEP Board of Directors have selected several "winners" for our Christmas/Holiday Contest. Because this is always a difficult task, this year we have also included several "honorable mentions". Even then, it is difficult, because everyone who has decorated is a "winner" This is because you helped bring fun, beauty, and enjoyment to our neighborhoods for the holidays! One more reason we enjoy living where we do! Thank you all!
1. The Grand Prize Winner - for the 5th year in a row....goes to a very special display at the Olsen's home - address is 595 Amboy Dr (located just off of Narvaez - south of Branham Lane - as Amboy becomes Chiles). Each year this display continues to awe everyone who sees it, while also changing somewhat with many new items. This years' new items include large snowflakes on the roof. Be sure to come by as soon as possible - you won't want to miss it!!
3. First Prize Winner - in the Inflatable or Animated Blowups category - 610 Albion Dr (just off of west Bluefield).
Honorable mention - 4168 Dulcey Drive; and Honorable mention - 5079 Tottenham Ct (off of Chynoweth).
5. First Prize Winner - in the Connected Neighbors category - 661/662 Dunraven Ct for the 2nd year in a row (located between Chynoweth and Narvaez) as well as other neighbors on Dunraven; Honorable mention - 585 & 579 Hyde Park Dr.
7. Streets to See - several streets had the majority of the houses along them decorated - makes for special enjoyment and friendly competition between neighbors. Many of these streets also included at least one house in contention for the prize winning categories:
- · Hyde Park Drive - wins with the largest number of homes decorated on a street several blocks long (between Vistapark Drive, west past New Compton Drive, and west of Chynoweth to Gaundabert) - you will want to see it all!
- · Chynoweth - several houses along this stretch as well as the ones on Chynoweth Ct. (close to freeway overpass)
- · Kings Cross Way (between Gaundabert and Barron Park Drive) including the corner house on Gaundabert
- · Hastings Park Drive (off of Vistapark and Victoria Park - just south of Capitol Exp)
- · Mia (connects with Branham just west of Safeway shopping center)
Watch for pictures and an article in the January edition of the VEP newsletter!
VEP November Update
Wednesday, 11 November 2015 21:36
1. Happy Veterans Day! Today is a day we set aside to honor all of the men and women who have defended our country. Don't forget to thank our veterans for their service to protect our families and the freedoms we cherish. Their heroism, patriotism, and willingness to sacrifice for the common good, should be a model for us all!
2. Reminder - Dave Fadness Memorial Beautification Day - this Saturday morning, starting at 9am at the Vista Park Community Room, 475 Hyde Park Drive. Come by for coffee and snacks, sign-in, network with neighbors, and have an opportunity to greet Aiko Fadness. She plans to attend with her "adopted children/grandchildren" - Debbie Danitz's family. Councilmember Johnny Khamis will be there, and Councilmember Ash Kalra will stop by. We hope to see you all there! (Come even you can only stay for a short while!)
3. Possible Work Sites and Activities for Saturday's Dave Fadness Memorial Beautification Day. We are still determining the work sites for Saturday morning 9:30am-12noon (approximate times). We plan to prioritize possible sites - for instance: Northwest corner of Branham and Vistapark Drive; Chynoweth Drive between Gunderson High School and Pearl, etc. Beautification/Cleanup activities will include litter pickup, weed and brush removal, leaf cleanup, & bushes and plants pruned. While tools/materials will be provided - feel free to bring your own! If you have a neighborhood area of concern, that you would like to have considered for Saturday's project, contact Marilyn Rodgers (contact information below). See you Saturday morning!
4. Crime and Safety in VEP Neighborhoods - Alert! Several incidents of vehicle breakins and/or thefts have been reported in the VEP Neighborhoods! Be Alert! Several vehicles were broken into on Ivanhoe Ct (off Barron Park Drive) in the Vista Park area of VEP, at approximately 5am on Tuesday. Two incidents happened last night/early this morning, Wednesday. One on Lassenpark Circle in Parkview area of VEP - work van full of tools was stolen out of a neighbor's driveway - private vehicle parked on the street was broken into, between 12mid-8am. Second incident - on Kingspark Way in Parkview area - several vehicles - cars, trucks, vans, broken into between 2am-6am. Please be sure to keep all vehicles locked! Be sure to contact SJPD and make out reports on all such incidents.
5. Suspects in the Greenpark home invasion apprehended!!. Two of the three suspects involved in the October 22nd home invasion and injury/shooting of the homeowner who arrived home unexpectedly, have been apprehended and are in jail on a separate charge in Monterey County. Reported in Mercury News
VEP October Update
Tuesday, 20 October 2015 20:17
1. The VEP Community Association Board of Directors would like to share the following information regarding ways that are available to honor and thank Dave Fadness:
a. The San Jose City Council will "Adjourn" in Honor of Dave Fadness on Tuesday, October 27th, at 1:30pm. This is a brief ceremonial celebration that will be held at the beginning of the regularly scheduled Council Meeting. Mayor Sam Liccardo and Councilmember Johnny Khamis will speak briefly, followed by a moment of silence in honor of Dave. The public is welcome and encouraged to attend. Validated parking is available below City Hall - entrance to garage on 6th Street.
b. Dave Fadness Memorial Beautification Day - Saturday, November 14th, beginning at 9am at Vista Park, 475 Hyde Park Drive, San Jose, 95136. In consultation with the Fadness family, VEP is initiating a Memorial Beautification Day in Dave's honor. Volunteering in the community, and in particular, volunteering to beautify the community was of utmost importance to Dave. Come and join us on Saturday, November 14th - come for an hour, or more!!
c. Donations in Honor of Dave Fadness. In consultation with Dave's family, the following suggestions are recommended:
1) Donate a few hours of your time to your community, in Dave's honor.
2) Make a donation to your favorite charity in honor of Dave Fadness.
3) Make a donation to Our City Forest in Dave's honor. Donations can be made online at: ourcityforest.org/donate, or % Rhonda Berry, Our City Forest, 1590 Las Plumas Ave, S.J. 95133
d. Additional information concerning the above, as well as other suggestions that have been made to honor Dave, that will take time to determine and/or accomplish are included in the October edition of the VEP Newsletter.
2. Save the Date - VEP Community Meeting, Tuesday, October 27th at 7:30pm, at the Vista Park Community Room, 475 Hyde Park Drive, San Jose, Ca. 95136. Everyone is welcome! Plan now to attend!
3. District 10 Public Safety Forum, Thursday, October 22, 2015 - location - Almaden Community Center, address - 6455 Camden Avenue, San Jose, 95120. Featuring SJPD Southern Division Commander, Captain Ed Schroder and SJPD Crime Prevention Specialist Kim Gaddis. Doors open 5:30pm, program begins 6pm.
VEP September Update
Sunday, 06 September 2015 06:50
1. Crime and Safety in the VEP Neighborhoods. On Friday afternoon, August 21st, the Vistapark area of VEP had another home burglarized. This time on Barron Park Drive in the home of long time resident and VEP member Dian Syverson. (Note: Dian has given permission for her name and the details of the burglary to be made public.) Three suspects entered her home through the rear sliding glass doors by smashing them. Unfortunately her house was trashed, and many items stolen including an Ipad and other electronics, money, and valuable jewelry - heart- breaking to Dian as some items were given to her by her mother. Fortunately, an observant and quick thinking neighbor called SJPD. The neighbor was able to give a description of the suspects, took pictures, and obtained a partial license plate. SJPD Community Service Officers responded to complete a report and dust for fingerprints. Everyone is optimistic that these suspects will be apprehended. Bravo to the quick action taken by a vigilant neighbor!
2. Resurfacing Pavement for Vistapark Drive. Everyone is pleased that the Vistapark Drive is being resurfaced. Many neighbors, however have expressed concern about the poor quality of the contractor's work thus far. The contractor has provided assurances that a significant amount of work still remains to be completed on Vistapark Drive, including the final striping of lanes.
3. Upcoming Events at Martial Cottle Park! The 1st Annual Harvest Festival at Martial Cottle Park is scheduled for Saturday, October 3rd! Put it on your calendar and plan now for the whole family to attend! Please note that additional information will also be provided at the September VEP monthly membership meeting on Tuesday, September 29th! Volunteer Opportunities are available: https://www.sccgov.org/sites/parks/Volunteer/Pages/2015/harvest-festival-oct2015.aspx
Another fun opportunity will take place this Saturday, September 5th, at 8pm - In the Park After Dark Movie Night at Martial Cottle. Meet on the lawn (close to the vehicle main entrance). A short film on County Parks followed by The Lorax - for FREE on a giant blow up screen. Bring a flashlight, lawnchair, and a blanket. Questions at 408-553-4060.
VEP July Update
Saturday, 04 July 2015 06:21
1. Summer Safety Briefing at Vista Park. Thanks to everyone who was able to attend. The focus of the briefing was to highlight the importance of the voluntary Video Camera Registry. This registry will assist SJPD in maximizing their efforts in catching individuals involved in criminal activity, and thus increases safety for residents. VEP residents have already been proactive in utilizing security video cameras on several streets within the VEP neighborhoods.
2. Special thank you to Don Ferguson and Kathy Welch. Don and Kathy are two examples of the many VEP members currently utilizing video cameras. They each briefly shared how valuable they believed security video cameras to be for residents, and gave examples of how having their video cameras provided them an opportunity to assist SJPD in successfully apprehending individuals involved in criminal activity. Don and Kathy also stated they will be registering for the voluntary registry with SJPD. For additional information, and/or to register your security video camera, go to SJPD.org
3. Illegal Fireworks - each of the City Officials at the Summer Safety Briefing stressed the fact that all fireworks/firecrackers are illegal in the City of San Jose. Fireworks are dangerous at any time with the potential for severe injuries. This year the severe drought is causing an additional concern for everyone's safety - illegal fireworks could easily start fires. Instead of participating in illegal fireworks demonstrations, residents were strongly encouraged to attend one of the three scheduled events in San Jose - Almaden Lake, Downtown San Jose, and/or San Jose Giants. (Note: VEP is a Community Sponsor for the event at Almaden Lake.)
4. Issue of Illegal Fireworks/Firecrackers within the VEP Neighborhoods - due to the apparent magnitude of the ongoing issue with M80 firecrackers being discharged several times every night over a period of several weeks, SJPD may be able to provide random patrols through the neighborhoods. This will be based on the volume of calls received. VEP area residents need to call 311 to report incidents. Report time of incident, with street address and house number, if possible. If not known, or unable to determine, provide as much accurate information as possible. For instance - VEP area, 95136 zip code, cross streets - ie. close to Vistapark Drive and View Park Circle; or Chynoweth & Massachusetts; or in the eastern side of the Vista park - Vista Park at Hyde Park Drive and New Compton. Residents that are subscribers of TAPS Residential Security Patrols should call them as well.
5. VEP is a Community Sponsor of the 4th of July Fireworks & Festival at Almaden Lake. Come by the booth and say hello. Have your picture taken with volunteers at the booth (for the VEP newsletter). VEP will be selling Glow Sticks to support the festival. The festival starts at 2pm with music, lots of food trucks, and fun vendors. 5pm is the Kids Costume Parade and Contest. The fireworks will start at approximately 9pm. Come enjoy a safe, fun, family-friendly event - with spectacular fireworks over Almaden Lake - Beautiful!!! (Note - no alcohol or pets allowed.) Hope to see you all there!