VEP July Update
Saturday, 04 July 2015 06:21
1. Summer Safety Briefing at Vista Park. Thanks to everyone who was able to attend. The focus of the briefing was to highlight the importance of the voluntary Video Camera Registry. This registry will assist SJPD in maximizing their efforts in catching individuals involved in criminal activity, and thus increases safety for residents. VEP residents have already been proactive in utilizing security video cameras on several streets within the VEP neighborhoods.
2. Special thank you to Don Ferguson and Kathy Welch. Don and Kathy are two examples of the many VEP members currently utilizing video cameras. They each briefly shared how valuable they believed security video cameras to be for residents, and gave examples of how having their video cameras provided them an opportunity to assist SJPD in successfully apprehending individuals involved in criminal activity. Don and Kathy also stated they will be registering for the voluntary registry with SJPD. For additional information, and/or to register your security video camera, go to SJPD.org
3. Illegal Fireworks - each of the City Officials at the Summer Safety Briefing stressed the fact that all fireworks/firecrackers are illegal in the City of San Jose. Fireworks are dangerous at any time with the potential for severe injuries. This year the severe drought is causing an additional concern for everyone's safety - illegal fireworks could easily start fires. Instead of participating in illegal fireworks demonstrations, residents were strongly encouraged to attend one of the three scheduled events in San Jose - Almaden Lake, Downtown San Jose, and/or San Jose Giants. (Note: VEP is a Community Sponsor for the event at Almaden Lake.)
4. Issue of Illegal Fireworks/Firecrackers within the VEP Neighborhoods - due to the apparent magnitude of the ongoing issue with M80 firecrackers being discharged several times every night over a period of several weeks, SJPD may be able to provide random patrols through the neighborhoods. This will be based on the volume of calls received. VEP area residents need to call 311 to report incidents. Report time of incident, with street address and house number, if possible. If not known, or unable to determine, provide as much accurate information as possible. For instance - VEP area, 95136 zip code, cross streets - ie. close to Vistapark Drive and View Park Circle; or Chynoweth & Massachusetts; or in the eastern side of the Vista park - Vista Park at Hyde Park Drive and New Compton. Residents that are subscribers of TAPS Residential Security Patrols should call them as well.
5. VEP is a Community Sponsor of the 4th of July Fireworks & Festival at Almaden Lake. Come by the booth and say hello. Have your picture taken with volunteers at the booth (for the VEP newsletter). VEP will be selling Glow Sticks to support the festival. The festival starts at 2pm with music, lots of food trucks, and fun vendors. 5pm is the Kids Costume Parade and Contest. The fireworks will start at approximately 9pm. Come enjoy a safe, fun, family-friendly event - with spectacular fireworks over Almaden Lake - Beautiful!!! (Note - no alcohol or pets allowed.) Hope to see you all there!
VEP March Meeting
Tuesday, 31 March 2015 07:22
VEP meeting, Tuesday, March 31st, 7:30pm, at Vista Park Community Room, 475 Hyde Park Drive, SJ, 95136.
Meeting presentations will include: Ron Berube on the very popular AARP Safe Driving Program, Karen Wernerbryce on Martial Cottle 4H Club, and Francisco De La Torre on TAPS Residential Security Patrols Program. Bring a friend - you will not want to miss these presentations!
VEP February Meeting on Tuesday!
Monday, 23 February 2015 08:06
1. VEP Membership Meeting, Tuesday, February 24th, 7:30pm, held at the Vista Park Community Room, 475 Hyde Park Drive, San Jose, 95136. Featured presentation on Mt. Umunhum and the Iconic Radar Tower - History & Importance of the Almaden Air Force Station. A second presentation will be an Update on Anti-Graffiti & Anti-Litter Program in San Jose. Additionally, a monthly progress report on Martial Cottle Park will be provided, and announcements of upcoming events in our area. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to attend - bring a friend or a new neighbor!
2. Crime & Safety Alert - SJPD has alerted everyone to the fact that during a three-day period last week, San Jose experienced a spike in automobile thefts - over 90 vehicles were stolen. Unfortunately at least two of those stolen were in the VEP neighborhoods. These vehicles were then subsequently used in the commission of other crimes - mostly home burglaries. Please be aware, keep your vehicles locked, and report stolen vehicles immediately.
VEP January Update
Friday, 16 January 2015 13:28
- Happy 2015 to All! VEP Community Association celebrates the start of its 46th Year!
- The annual VEP Membership Drive begins in January. However, the tentative date for the annual Membership Drive mailing prep party has been changed to February. Watch for future announcements. Volunteers are needed and much appreciated!
- Unfortunately the first 10 days of the new year arrived with incidents of home burglaries and attempted home burglaries in VEP neighborhoods (Lanfair, Vistapark at Grandpark, and west Bluefield and Park Victoria). Please be aware and vigilant of possible suspicious behavior particularly during the hours of 9am - 4pm. For suspicious behavior call 311, for a crime in process call 911. If you are a subscriber to TAPS Private Security Patrol, contact them as well - particularly helpful in assisting with suspicious behavior.
- New LED Streetlights Come to the VEP Neighborhoods. City of San Jose Department of Transportation began installing the new blue white lights during the week of Christmas on Branham at Vistapark west to New Compton. New LED lights provide additional light, have a longer life, and are less expensive to power.
- VEP Community Association Membership Meeting, Tuesday, January 27th! Plan now to attend! New information on Neighborhood Watch Program, and on the new alternative high school at Erikson site will be highlighted. Bring a neighbor - all are welcome!
Martial Cottle Park Update
Sunday, 14 December 2014 17:43
- Martial Cottle Park Opening. Over 250 people attended the Opening of the Park on Saturday, December 13th. Santa Clara County Supervisor Mike Wasserman was the Master of Ceremonies which included introductions and brief speeches by several elected officials and dignitaries. The ceremony concluded with the raising of the flags - US, State of California, and Martial Cottle. Visitors then enjoyed cake, coffee, and an opportunity to walk around the Visitors Center and various areas of the Park and Trail. Watch for an article and accompanying pictures in the January VEP Newsletter.
- Temporary Closure of the Park. Recent storms, and other weather related delays, have necessitated the need to temporarily close the main part of Martial Cottle Park. This is to facilitate needed repairs. Additionally, the Chynoweth pedestrian entrance (located at Chynoweth & Barron Park Drive - down from Gunderson High School) which was opened for use on Saturday, has also been closed. Temporary closure is needed to facilitate completion of construction along this segment of the Trail.
- Gallery of Photographs - Saturday's Opening of Martial Cottle Park - attached below is a gallery of pictures for everyone to enjoy, courtesy of photographer Adina Pierce, VEP Board Member. Note: If anyone took pictures on Saturday and would like to share them with us, we will give you credit as the photographer. https://www.flickr.com/photos/vepca/sets/72157649351764390/
VEP November Update
Tuesday, 11 November 2014 21:41
1. Save the Date - Tuesday, December 2nd, 7:30 - VEP Monthly Membership Meeting. Please Note: Change in Date!!
Santa Clara County Supervisor Mike Wasserman will be the featured guest speaker. Additional Information will also be provided on the Opening of Martial Cottle Park and Trail! Plan now to attend!
2. November 11th - Tuesday, 11am - 2pm - 96th Annual Veteran's Day Parade, Downtown San Jose. Please note that several streets and highway offramps will be closed beginning at 7am until 2:45pm. A Memorial Ceremony will take place at 11am at Plaza de Cesar Chavez in honor of the 1918 Armistice which was "the War to End All Wars". Parade takes place along Delmas Street, Santa Clara Street, Market Street, Park Street, and San Carlos Street. San Jose's Veterans' Day Parade, known as one of the largest in Northern California, honors all who have served, or are currently serving their country. Free Admission!
3. Dave Fadness Acknowledged as "Park Adopter" for Vista Park. The San Jose Parks & Recreation Department has acknowledged Dave for his volunteer service, specifically as an official "park adopter" for Vista Park. A plaque honoring Dave has been placed on a light standard in the park. For additional information on how to become a "park adopter", see the upcoming November edition of the VEP newsletter.
Mayoral Forum on October 29
Thursday, 16 October 2014 07:11
Save the Date: Mayoral Forum, Wed. October 29th 7 PM @ the Library.
All residents are invited to an election forum/meeting being co-sponsored by Erikson Neighborhood Association, Pinehurst Residents Association and VEP Community Association on Weds Oct 29th, 7:00-8:30 pm at the Pearl Ave Branch Library. You'll have a chance to meet and ask questions of the two candidates running for mayor of San Jose. The agenda will be:
7:00-7:30 pm - Sam Liccardo
7:30-8:00 pm - Dave Cortese
8:00-8:30 pm - Stephen McMahon, SJUSD Chief business Officer, to discuss a continuation high school program (Liberty High School) proposed for the Erikson School site beginning school year 2015-2016
VEP September Update
Tuesday, 23 September 2014 19:42
- Save the Date: VEP Membership Meeting, Tuesday, September 30th, 7:30pm, Vista Park Community Room, 475 Hyde Park Drive, San Jose, 95136. Guest Speakers include SJPD Southern Division Commander, Captain Shawny Williams and Open Space Authority General Manager, Andrea Mackenzie, as well as information on Ballot Measure Q. Plan to attend and bring a neighbor!
- Family Fun Event - sponsored by Open Space Authority - Coyote Valley Family Harvest Feast, 11am - 3pm, 550 Palm Avenue, Morgan Hill, Ca. 95037.
- Please Note: Speed Limit Change on Hyde Park Drive. All of Hyde Park Drive is now 25miles/hr. The change was made due to resident concerns and complaints, increased number of accidents, increased safety/visibility issues due to road curvature and greater numbers of cars parked on both sides of the street. Please slow down on all residential streets in the VEP neighborhoods.
- Update on Dave Fadness. Dave was transferred to a skilled nursing facility in Mt. View two weeks ago. Dave states this is "one step closer to going home", which the Fadnesses are hoping will take place in the next several weeks. Dave is optimistic but does miss his home and community very much. They want to thank everyone for their continued well wishes and greetings.
Page 1 of 2«StartPrev12NextEnd»